Setting Up a Charity - Bourner Bullock in London
Before setting up a charity
Before setting up a charity, there are numerous points to consider. For example, is creating a new charity the best way forward, or is there an alternative, more appropriate, way to fulfil your aims?
There are approximately 180,000 registered charities in England and Wales (plus thousands more unregistered organisations). Before setting up your charity, it is therefore advisable to investigate whether there is already an existing organisation undertaking similar charitable work in your chosen area.
Once you have decided to set up a charity, you should consider the following:
- Selecting the most suitable charity structure
- Selecting trustees who are jointly responsible for the running of the charity
- Opening a bank account.
- Ensuring the Public Benefit requirement is met
- Setting up a suitable 'Governing document'
- Establishing the charitable purposes
Do I need to register?
Bourner Bullock can help to ascertain whether or not you need to register your charity, as the decision is not always straightforward. Only organisations with aims that are charitable for public benefit are allowed to register, while certain organisations are prohibited from registering.
Charities with income of more than £5k and all Charitable Incorporated Organisations (CIO’s) must register with the Charity Commission. Please contact Bourner Bullock for further information.
Contact Bourner Bullock in London
Bourner Bullock have considerable experience in working with charities, not-for-profit organisations and community interest companies.
From our offices in London, the team can assist start-up charities with:
- Preparing budgets and business plans
- Choosing the most appropriate legal structure
- Securing funding
- Registering with the Charities Commission
- Compliance with Charity Commission and Statement of Recommended Practice for Charities.
- Companies House and HMRC registrations
At Bourner Bullock we understand that setting up a charity can be a daunting experience. That's why our dedicated team of experts are on hand to guide you through the process and explain the options available to you.
To discover how Bourner Bullock can help you with setting up a charity, please contact a member of our specialist charity team in London.