Support for Charity Trustees in London
Sitting on the governing body, trustees are ultimately responsible for the running of the charity or not-for-profit organisation. Trustees may also be referred to as directors, board members, committee members or governors.
The trustees of charitable organisations have a number of duties and responsibilities, including:
- Trustees must safeguard and protect the assets of the charity
- Trustees must avoid any conflict between their personal interests and those of the charity.
- Trustees have a duty to act reasonably and prudently in all matters relating to their charity
- Trustees have collective responsibility for the charity
- Trustees must act in the best interests of their charity
- Trustees are responsible for the proper administration of the charity
Furthermore, charity trustees must also ensure that the organisation meets the requirements of the Charities Commission and, for incorporated companies, those of Companies House.
Bourner Bullock can help
We understand that the responsibilities of a trustee can be complex, particularly with the frequent changes in legislation and regulation that take place.
Bourner Bullock have a wealth of experience in working with trustees and offer a range of services designed to support charity trustees. We can:
- Review compliance and potential risks to the organisation's finances
- Carry out governance performance reviews.
- Assist trustees in the development and ongoing monitoring of strategic plans
- If incorporated, assist with company secretarial issues, including filing annual returns
In addition, Bourner Bullock can help charities with:
- Setting up a new charity and completing the necessary registrations
- Fundraising and Gift Aid tax reclaims
- Audit and independent examinations including compliance with the Statement of Recommended Practice for Charities
- Support for trustees, including Charity Commission compliance
- VAT and other taxation issues
- Payroll giving and payroll preparation
- Financial planning and management strategies
- Accounting and bookkeeping
With our in-depth knowledge of the voluntary sector, Bourner Bullock are well placed to support charity trustees in London and the surrounding area. Our team will help to ensure that the organisation is run properly and efficiently - please contact us for further information.